Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Steve Wise Pt. 1

Story submitted by Barry Lacour.

So, the other day I was talking to this guy at the shop about doing some work on his bike. We finish talking and the guy fires up his bike, pulls out of the driveway and takes off like he's in a race or something. I'm thinking, what a tool. Anyway, I walk back into the shop and Al says, wow, that guy was on it! So I said what I always say when someone does that. Yeah, he was doing what Steve Wise does. Then Al asked, why do you allways say that? Who is Steve Wise?

Well, in the early 80's, my friends and I would go out and ride this motocross track out in hills of Simi Valley. At the bottom of one of the hills was a parking lot and on Sundays, the lot was empty. So one Sunday, after watching one of the Superbiker races, we decided to add a few turns to our track in the lot. After about an hour or so of riding this track, we started to get a little more aggressive on the pavement. So, I'm coming down the hill and I see my friend Billy Kikuchi, laying on the ground in the parking lot. I ride up to him, I could tell he was in pain and he says, I think I broke my leg. Since I didn't see the crash, I asked him, what happened? He looks right at me and says, I was doing what Steve Wise does, can you take me to the hospital?

The Superbikers race was an event held in the early 80's at Carlsbad raceway. It pitted AMA professional flat track, road race, motocross and enduro riders against each other on a track that combined elements of each of the riding disciplines. Just like the Supermotard and AMA Supermoto deal at the X games.

Steve Wise won that event twice, 1981 and 1982. Steve was one of those rare motorcycle racers who really knew how to control any motorcycle, on the dirt or the pavement. He was one of the most versatile riders in AMA history. He started career as a motocross rider for factory Kawasaki and then factory Honda. By the time he was finished racing, he lined up and race with some of the best riders in the world, not just motocross riders. He was inducted into the AMA Hall Of Fame 2001. Here are some pictures of what Steve really did.

Wise, learning like we did, in a field, on a early Penton 175.

No comments: